My girls and I love chocolate chip cookies! And while I often bake them from scratch (though I use break and bake cookies equally as often ; ) ) I usually bake chocolate chip cookies in the cooler months so I don’t have to turn the oven on during the day. But today we decided to take advantage of the hot sun . . . and used a solar oven to bake our chocolate chip cookies!
You’re probably thinking . . . Huh?
Well, our solar oven was made of homemade solar panels and a pizza box.
Let me explain.
Here’s What You Need to Make a Solar Oven:
- Pizza box
- Plastic wrap
- Aluminum foil
- Black construction paper
- Chocolate Chip cookie dough (definitely a time for break and bake!)
Here’s How to Bake with a Solar Oven:
1. Trace a 5″ x 5″ square in the center of the top of the pizza box.
2. Cut along the bottom and two sides of the square, leaving the top edge of the square still attached to the pizza box.
3. Wrap the 5″ x 5″ flap with aluminum foil and tape it so it stays open.
4. Lift the pizza top open and tape clear plastic wrap so it covers the 5″ x 5″ opening.
5. Place a piece of black construction paper on the bottom of the pizza box.
6. Place the cookie dough in the center of the black paper so the cookies are visible through the top of the pizza box, I mean solar oven!
7. Put the pizza box solar oven with the chocolate chip cookie dough in the sun. Make sure the shadow of the homemade solar panel is directly behind the box. This ensures the cookies are getting direct sunlight. However, since the sun is continually moving, the pizza box solar oven must be moved every two hours to keep up! After about 4-6 hours (solar cooking takes longer!), the chocolate chip cookies should be done and ready to eat right from the solar oven!